I know what you’re thinking, “this is going to be another post where Kevin lords his extended time off over our heads”. Well, A) I think of it as more of an annual sabbatical, and B) I commend your pattern recognition abilities.
As I worked my last day of 2017 today, December 7, I reflected on the year. Not only have I worked 11 straight months with few breaks, but I also attained a second bachelor’s degree in May. I obtained two Krav Maga belts as well as earning both Level 3 and Level 4 Krav Maga certifications. I think I speak for all reading this when I say “Wow, Kevin, there’s no way you could have accomplished anything more than that over the course of 2017! It hasn’t even been a full 12 months and your endeavors seem like any of them would take years, if not decades, to accomplish!” Well, I hate to say it to you people, but you’re making fools of yourselves. In addition to the aforementioned accomplishments, I studied for and attained the globally recognized Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) credential. As if that’s not enough, I fought through various injuries, chronic ailments, and unfavorable genetics to improve my squat from 160 lbs to 300 lbs and my deadlift from 250 lbs to 340 lbs. I also attended the highly regarded Starting Strength Seminar, in Wichita Falls, TX.
Lest you think that my month-long sabbatical is all sloth and leisure, I actually do have a substantial to-do list. In addition to watching a large number of Hallmark channel Christmas movies, many NFL games, and dozens of college bowl games, I’ve got many more things to watch, on a variety of different platforms between now and when I return to work on January 8.
- Punisher – Season 1
- Master of None – Season 2
- Craig Ferguson – Tickle Fight (Dec 5)
- Judd Apatow – The Return (Dec 12)
- Bright (Dec 22)
- Todd Barry – Spicy Honey (Dec 26)
- Dave Chappelle – Equanimity (Dec 31)
- The Tick – Season 1a
- Jean-Claude Van Johnson – Season 1
- Teen Wolf – Season 6B (Final Season)
- Turn – Season 4 (Final Season)
- Logan (Dec 9)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi
For those wanting to know what I’m listening to right now, my only real jams are some of my Childish Gambino faves. In addition to the CG jams I posted last year, I’m also really feeling Redbone right now. I also have a Christmas time favorite. And another seasonal favorite.
In terms of podcasts, my primary listens are to:
- Barbell Logic – Two Starting Strength coaches discuss barbell lifting.
- Barbell Medicine – Two MDs who are also Starting Strength coaches discuss barbell lifting.
- Fictional – Jason Weiser from Myths and Legends does fictional lit with a modern tone.
- Myths and Legends – I informed you about this one last year. You’re welcome.
- Sayer – Interesting narrative sci-fi/dark comedy/horror podcast I recently stumbled upon. The eponymous SAYER is a highly advanced, self-aware AI created to help acclimate new residents to their new lives, and their new employment with Ærolith Dynamics on Earth’s man-made second moon, Typhon.
- Sleep With Me – Dearest Scooter tells boring stories to help you get to sleep.
- Spycast – The curator of the International Spy Museum interviews experts from the intelligence community.
- The Bright Sessions – Sci-fi podcast that is presented as recordings of therapy sessions of the mysterious Dr. Bright who treats patients that have supernatural abilities.
- The Secret World Chronicles – One of my favorites. It’s in its final season, after approximately 10 years. Earth superheroes have to fight against an invading army of space Nazis.
Hopefully you read this and gain some perspective about what you can do when you refuse to acknowledge limits and live life 100mph like I do.